Governments across the world have vowed to implement countermeasures against the US after President Donald Trump on Wednesday announced a new 10% baseline tariff on imports from all countries, in addition to reciprocal tariffs targeting nations with high trade barriers against US goods.
Trump made the announcement in a speech at the White House Rose Garden, revealing that a 10% tariff would apply to all imports into the United States.
While this baseline 10% levy applies universally, several countries will face additional reciprocal tariffs. Trump referred to April 2, the start date for the new tariffs, as “Liberation Day,” claiming the U.S. had been exploited for many years.
Previously, Trump imposed a 25% tariff on all foreign-made vehicles, as well as a 25% tariff on steel and aluminum imports.
Here’s a look at how various governments have responded or plan to respond:
CANADA Prime Minister Mark Carney stated that Canada would counter the tariffs with appropriate measures, acting decisively and forcefully. Goods from Canada and Mexico are not subject to these new reciprocal tariffs, as the 25% tariff on fentanyl-related imports and the 10% tariffs on Canadian energy and potash remain in place. Tariff exemptions for goods compliant with the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement will continue indefinitely.
CHINA China’s Ministry of Commerce expressed strong opposition to the reciprocal tariffs and vowed to take countermeasures to protect its rights and interests after Trump imposed a 34% reciprocal tariff on Chinese goods.
MEXICO Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum announced that Mexico would not engage in a “tit-for-tat” tariff strategy but would instead unveil a comprehensive response program on Thursday.
JAPAN Japanese Trade Minister Yoji Muto called the reciprocal tariffs “extremely regrettable” and indicated that Japan would press the US to exempt it from these new measures. Japan is facing a 24% reciprocal tariff.
SOUTH KOREA South Korea’s Ministry of Industry stated that Acting President Han Duck-soo had mandated emergency support for industries affected by the tariffs, including the automobile sector, after Trump’s announcement of a 25% tariff on South Korean goods.
BRAZIL The Brazilian government, facing a 10% tariff from the US, announced it was evaluating all possible measures to ensure reciprocal trade actions, including resorting to the World Trade Organization.
AUSTRALIA Prime Minister Anthony Albanese emphasized that Australia would negotiate with the US to remove the tariffs without resorting to dispute resolution under their Free Trade Agreement. He also stated that Australia would not impose reciprocal tariffs, as it would lead to higher costs for Australian consumers.
“We will not join a race to the bottom that leads to higher prices and slower growth,” Albanese said
EUROPEAN UNION Bernd Lange, Chairman of the European Parliament’s international trade committee, indicated that the EU would respond with legal, proportionate, and decisive measures.
“I hope that our arguments and the firmness of our response will provide sufficient incentives to bring the US to the negotiating table,” Lange said.
Ireland’s trade minister, Simon Harris, confirmed that the EU would respond in a way that protects its citizens, workers, and businesses, while Portugal’s Economy Minister Pedro Reis called for a strong, yet thoughtful, approach.
Please don’t forget to “Allow the notification” so you will be the first to get our gist when we publish it.
Drop your comment in the section below, and don’t forget to share the post.
Keep up with the latest news and be part of our weekly giveaways and airtime…
Keep up with the latest news and be part of our weekly giveaways and airtime…
Keep up with the latest news and be part of our weekly giveaways and airtime…
Keep up with the latest news and be part of our weekly giveaways and airtime…
Keep up with the latest news and be part of our weekly giveaways and airtime…
Keep up with the latest news and be part of our weekly giveaways and airtime…