News

Ebonyi-Enugu highway abandoned due to kidnappers’ siege

Due to the criminal operations of kidnappers who besiege the road, the security situation on the Enugu Motorway and the Idodo border axis of Ebonyi has gotten worse.

Due to this development, many road users have been compelled to suspend their trips.

The deteriorating situation has paralyzed movements to and from Ebonyi State.

The kidnappers “can rest for hours or even days, but strike within a second without notice,” according to a source who requested anonymity.

Nicholas Nworie, a businessman from Ebonyi, told ZINGTIE that the recent wave of kidnappings on the road caused him to suspend a crucial meeting in Enugu last week.

He said: “I postponed my all-important meeting in Enugu today because of the kidnapping incidents. Apart from myself, many others cancelled the trip and it’s very unfortunate.

“I have done my best to draw government’s attention to the problem but the governments of Enugu and Ebonyi seem not to be concerned about the incident.

“My sister called me this morning to say that her husband’s best friend was shot by hoodlums a few days ago while coming to Abakaliki at about 5 pm. He abandoned his car and escaped with a bullet wound. Something urgent needs to be done to arrest the situation.”

Another source noted that movement along the ever-busy road has become unsafe, adding: “Someone in my street just came back from Enugu this afternoon and said that though they crossed safely, everyone inside their vehicle started praying as they approached Idodo.”

He noted that the kidnappers were highly unpredictable and might even operate in broad daylight.

“Someone was kidnapped on Tuesday. They secured his release on Thursday. He was kidnapped before 3 pm. That same day, they (kidnappers) operated in the evening but a driver who escaped alerted those coming from Enugu and the road was deserted.

“When those from Abakaliki saw that no car was coming from Enugu, they parked. Security operatives were alerted and they cleared the road. All these did not happen very early or late at night but happened between 2 pm and 4 pm,” he narrated.

Please don’t forget to “Allow the notification” so you will be the first to get our gist when we publish it. 
Drop your comment in the section below, and don’t forget to share the post.

Mazi Nwokpor Jonathan

View Comments

Recent Posts

Arsenal make surprise jersey-number changes ahead of 2026/27 campaign

Keep up with the latest news and be part of our weekly giveaways and airtime…

4 minutes ago

Osun victory: Rufai Oseni reveals why 2027 may be very different

Keep up with the latest news and be part of our weekly giveaways and airtime…

16 hours ago

Osun election: APC chieftain reveals what went wrong behind the scenes

Keep up with the latest news and be part of our weekly giveaways and airtime…

16 hours ago

Transfer: Real Madrid close in on major move after Mourinho’s approval

Keep up with the latest news and be part of our weekly giveaways and airtime…

16 hours ago

Rivers politics: Wike’s camp makes fresh promise as reconciliation gathers pace

Keep up with the latest news and be part of our weekly giveaways and airtime…

16 hours ago

Edo Assembly: Major shake-up as Speaker Agbebaku resigns

Keep up with the latest news and be part of our weekly giveaways and airtime…

1 day ago